What are the various copies of Form W-2 used for?
70 views |
Last modified 11/16/2020 12:51:35 PM EST |
Added by 123PayStubs Team
Form W-2 consists of six copies and each has a purpose:
- Copy A – Submitted by the employer to the Social Security Administration
- Copy B – To be sent to the employee and filed by the employee with the employee's federal income tax returns
- Copy C – To be retained by the employee for the employee's records
- Copy D – To be maintained by the employer, for the employer's records
- Copy 1 – To be filed with the employer's state or local income tax returns
- Copy 2 – To be filed with the employee's state or local income tax returns
Make sure you send the employee copies before January 31st. If you e-file Form W-2 through 123PayStubs, you will have an option to opt for the postal mailing of recipient copies.